To mark the 150th birth anniversary of Rudyard Kipling and the release of Disney’s new Jungle Book movie, Taj Safaris created a unique safaris package which allowed guests to experience all of Mowgli’s bare necessities in real life.
Managed by Rediffusion/Edelman, the Mowgli Trails package was launched in India in April 2016 using an integrated communications strategy across print, television and digital.
The Jungle Book is one of Rudyard Kipling’s best-known works. Its hero Mowgli is fictional, but the untamed wilderness of the jungle was set on the real-life Pench-Kanha jungle in Madhya Pradesh. Fast forward a century and Mowgli’s jungle is now home to Taj Safaris’ Kanha and Baghvan jungle lodges.
Taj Safaris wanted to link to the hype around the new movie in the media to raise the profile of Taj Safaris lodges, the safaris offering in India and to build a profile as the ultimate Indian safari destination.
- Increase top-of-mind recall about Taj Safaris in the minds of consumers
- Create a key experience for the summer at Taj Safaris that will highlight the lodges as the perfect destination for a summer getaway, particularly for family travel
EXECUTIVE AND TACTICS
Integrated campaign rollout: Charity partnership: Taj Safaris created a limited edition of The Jungle Book with Macmillan, designed in association with the Born Free Foundation, which was offered as a giveaway for select media, VIPs and partners of Taj Safaris in India, the UK, the US, France, Germany, Italy, the UAE and Australia. The limited edition is also available for sale in St James’ Court, a Taj hotel, London and a percentage of the proceeds from each sale is donated to the Born Free Foundation.
Consumer launch event: The Mowgli’s Trails package was launched in London, in partnership with the Born Free Foundation, to media, guests, partners and VIPs. This was followed by a launch in India in April 2016.
Media engagement: Global press release to key media and media experientials to the Taj Safaris lodges.
Digital amplification: Campaign amplification via digital platforms including social media channels – Facebook and Instagram. Electronic direct mailers sent to all consumers on Taj’s mailing lists.
Print advertisements: Advertisements in key dailies and joint advertisements with travel partners.
Brand partnerships: Partnership with Disney, offering DVDs of The Jungle Book as giveaways for guests.
TITLE: Mowgli Trails by Taj Safaris
CATEGORY: Best Use of Creativity and Most Impactful Media Campaign
CLIENT: Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces
- In India alone, the campaign generated MAV of approximately INR 1.5 crores (US$ 220,000 approximately) across print, online and broadcast channels.
- Charity partnership: 1,000 books were distributed with a message on Mowgli Trails.
- Top tier media coverage including an eight-page cover story on Taj Safaris and Mowgli Trails in Travel+Leisure India magazine and two articles on the US version of Forbes online around the offering. It also garnered coverage in Indian print publications such as Mail Today, Sunday FE, The Hindu and DNA. English Television News channel ET Now dedicated one episode to Mowgli Trails.
- The campaign garnered 32 print, one TV and 11 online feature pieces in India and over 20 feature stories in the international media.