The ILEDTHEWAY campaign helped catalyse the distribution of LEDs from 10 million over a year and a half to just under 10 million bulbs in less than a month with six bulbs being distributed every single second. We’re on track to reach 100 million by the time you finish reading this entry.
India’s energy requirements in terms of electricity always exceeds the power generated.
India’s primary focus was on increasing electricity production but the government also needed to change consumer behavior towards Energy Efficiency. Since energy saved is energy produced, the government urged millions of Indians to replace normal incandescent bulbs in their homes with energy-efficient LEDs.
To encourage the purchase of LED bulbs, the Ministry of Power introduced the Domestic Efficient Lighting Program (DELP), offering LED bulbs at a reduced cost. However, lack of awareness and the perceived higher cost of LEDs limited the progress.
Our primary objective was to support EESL(the implementing organization for this programme)and the Ministry of Power in reaching its goal to distribute 770million LED bulbs through the DELP program, by replacing the inefficient incandescent and CFL bulbs.
At the start of our work with EESL, it had taken 1.5 years to sell the first 10 million bulbs, while it had to achieve the target by March 2019. Hence, there was a need to greatly accelerate adoption in order to meet this objective.
CATEGORY: Public Sector Campaign of the Year
CLIENT: Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL), a public ESCO under the Ministry of Power, Govt. of India
BUDGET: $102,028 USD
- In only eight months since launching ILEDTHEWAY: More 30 million people have pledged to lead the way.
- As a part of the ILEDtheway campaign, conversations about benefits of LED bulbs and EESL’s initiatives were generated across national and vernacular media.
- We reached out to B2B magazines to create awareness about EESL’s business models, thereby promoting the scheme and inviting several OEMs to join the scheme.
- We garnered coverage in over 50 publications (English and vernacular) which covered our messages.
- We garnered an overall media ad value of $1 million.
- From a first ten million bulbs, to a country that together is saving:
- More than 32 million kilowatt hours daily
- A total of 2,370 megawatts of electricity demand
- More than 26,300 tons of carbon dioxide emissions daily
- And more than $19 million in energy costs dailyWe’ve helped Indian households adopt energy efficient practices 2,784% faster