The appreciation of diversity is widespread. However, Tata Power is among the few who has played a generous role in biodiversity conservation. From as early as 1975, Tata Power identified, empathized and took over a cause for a species that was on a steady decline, the Mahseer. Mahseer is a freshwater fish which is popular the world over for being an outstanding game fish. Mahseer was once available in great numbers in the Himalayan Rivers. However, its population has declined by about 50% due to loss of habitat, poaching and indiscriminate fishing.
Taking cognizance of the alarming decline in the population of Mahseer, Tata Power took upon itself to draw attention to the threat posed to Mahseer from as early as 1975. Tata Power set up a Mahseer breeding hatchery in Maharashtra to breed the fish artificially and distribute its fingerlings to other states in India to ensure an even growth. In the last four decades, Tata Power has produced over 3.6 lakh semi fingerlings annually and has been distributing the same to other states in India. In 1970’s, the extent of Mahseer depletion was a grave concern amongst environmentalist, and Tata Power decided to lend a helping hand to the fish due to its business philosophy of sustainability, as well as to make the locals aware of the need to conserve the fish and seek their collaboration in the same.
In 2015, the ‘Act for Mahseer’ campaign was conceptualized to highlight Tata Power’s commitment to save the mighty Mahseer. The campaign involves, encourages participation and engages key stakeholders and augments the conservation agenda heralded by Tata Power.
- To raise awareness and build public empathy for saving Mahseer
- To encourage people to sign up for the ‘Act for Mahseer’ campaign and thereby pledge to save Mahseer
- To position Tata Power as an eco-friendly company that undertakes green initiatives that go above and beyond its CSR mandate
TITLE: Act for Mahseer
CATEGORY: Corporate Citizenship
CLIENT: Tata Power
- Over 180 print media stories in CAT A publications and magazines across the country
- In The Economic Times’ annual ‘Best companies for CSR’ list, Tata Power was named as India’s second biggest company for CSR and sustainability program, with the Mahseer initiative mentioned as the flagship campaign of Tata Power
- The campaign has successfully been positioned as a sustainable and conservation initiative undertaken by a company which promotes sustainability in all its business functions
- The campaign has led to hundreds of people signing the pledge to save the Mahseer on the campaign’s microsite